Thursday, October 18, 2007

What on earth do pregnant women eat?

That's what I asked my mom, well her and most of the pregnant women I know! It seems like every time you turn around there's a new food that you need to limit or avoid. Off the top of my head: sandwich meat, hot dogs, bean sprouts, fried foods, unwashed fruit, soups (high sodium foods in general), fish, fake sugar (AKA artificial sweetener), caffeine...not to mention the five million medicines you can no longer take. There are lots more that I can't think of, but it invokes a certain level of fear thinking that at any moment you could be about to ingest something that could be bad...

I had no idea where to start finding something for lunch! I pretty much ate Subway every day before I found out I was pregnant...well since tuna and sandwich meat are on the "do not" list it kind of limited my choices. Luckily, my new doctor is really cool. She explained some of the nuances of the off limit foods. For example, fish is okay, actually fish is good! Just don't eat fish with known high mercury contents. Okay, that makes sense to me. Basically, advice to those of you pregnant or getting pregnant. The internet is a very good thing...its also a very bad thing. Don't stress yourself out over what to do and what to eat and when in doubt just ask a professional. They won't laugh...well at least not to your face. I'm sure my doctor walked away and told her colleagues about some of my questions over lunch. Oh well, I'm always happy to provide the entertainment...as long as I don't have to know about it. :-)

0 comments: