Friday, March 28, 2008

It's been a long day...

It started this morning with my dad calling me to let me know my grandmother had passed away. It's a good thing, she's been praying for this for a while. She's been trapped in a body that was ailing while still having a completely sharp mind. It's still really hard though...I kind of just thought she'd live forever. I really wanted her to still be here when little Bruce came, but I know she'll watch over him from heaven. Even though we lived far away from each other, I love her very much. I am named after her...okay enough, too many tears.

I went in at 9:30 for the ultrasound. Everything looks good, but the ultrasound tech kept commenting on how big he is. Ultimately they're saying he's currently 7 lbs. 8 oz. as of today! Okay, that's a full term baby and I'm only 33.6 weeks along. So she's going on and on about how big he is and I'm starting to feel overwhelmed.

I head doctor's office where they had told me I'd meet with a doctor today only to be told I wouldn't be meeting with her after all. I was kind of frustrated just because I wanted someone to explain what all was happening. So I meet with the nurse practitioner who starts on about how big he is and says it over and over. Ultimately she tells me she doesn't know what to do so she's going to go consult with my doctor. Next thing I know people are wheeling in machines and there are 5 more people in the room. At this point I've had all I can handle...it had been a rough morning and I had no idea what was going on. I just break down and start crying. Luckily the doctor came in at that point and was able to explain what was happening so here's my best retelling of it.

Basically, yes, we have a big baby. I also had quite a bit of amniotic fluid. These two things are common of babies who's mothers have gestational diabetes. I had my 1 hour test and passed fine, but she was concerned that maybe I had developed diabetes since (really rare btw). So they were hooking me up to fetal monitors to make sure he wasn't in distress and ran some non-stress tests on him. He passed with flying colors. The doctor told me that if I do have GD then I would need a modified diet and possibly even insulin shots to help keep his growth down while he continues developing. If I don't have GD then we would try and keep him in as long as possible, but will probably induce at 37 weeks. If it looks like he's over 9 lbs. at 37 weeks then I'll be scheduled for a c-section. Again, information overload and I'm overwhelmed again...but still to go I needed to have the 3 hour gestational diabetes test to rule out whether or not I had developed it.

I head up to the lab where they tell me they can't do it because it's already 11:00 and they close at 2:00 so there's not enough time for them to run it. So now I break down for a second time. I just started crying and told them just tell me where to go and what to do. It's 11:00 I haven't eaten anything all day and now I find out I can't eat or drink anything for the next three hours and I'm going to have my blood drawn four times. I make it to location 2 do my three hour thing and just finally got home. So basically it's been a long day. I'll update when I know the results of my GD test.

0 comments: