Thursday, March 20, 2008

Funny story that has nothing to do with being pregnant

So, I was hanging out at my friend's (Carrie's) house the other day...which is what I always do when I skip...ahem...take a day off work (don't worry, it's allowed...). Anyway, so I'm over there and we're just chatting and I remember a funny story.

So after all my troubles trying to return stuff to Target....who by the way has the ABSOLUTE WORST return policy of all times...I was reminded of what Greg and I fondly refer to as "Wal-Mart Date Night."

Greg and I got married the summer between our junior and senior years of college. I worked part time as a teller and and Greg worked part time at the Collegiate Card for a whopping $5.75 an hour...both in school full time. We claimed a whole $11,000 for the year as our annual salary on our tax return in 2003! Oh, and we still had to pay taxes that year...man I hate tax season. Anyway, back to Wal-Mart Date Night. So, basically we were PO-OOR! When we'd want to have a date night we'd walk around the house and look for stuff that we'd bought at Wal-Mart that we could take back. It was always stuff that hadn't been opened yet, but we'd take back the box of Swiffer's we'd bought, or the laundry detergent we hadn't used yet and didn't need right away. We'd gather up all that we could find and head to Wal-Mart. Their return policy is AWESOME! They'll take anything without a receipt as long as it's under $20...and if it's over $20 they'll give you store credit. So on the off chance we had multiple things, we'd recruit friends to take back stuff too! It was like our own little savings account. We'd take back our stuff, collect our cash and head out for dinner at Taco Bueno or something and then go see a dollar movie.

It's memories like this that make you really appreciate where you are today. Greg and I are doing well...we love each other...and now we're having a baby. I think back to those days and it's easy just to remember that we argued ALL the time, but there were a lot of good memories too. I joke a lot that nothing kills a marriage faster than living in Abilene, and for us that was probably true, but there are some married memories in that town that will always bring a smile to my face!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a fun story!