Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Metformin...

I'm really writing this post for any of you who ever have to take this or the random person who happens upon this after an extensive google search! :-)

Metformin has been very interesting.  It has some pretty intense side effects.  Because it was developed to treat people with diabetes it targets insulin levels (PCOS also effects insulin levels).  Because of that, it has some pretty unpleasant GI (gastro-intestinal) side effects when eating excess carbohydrates/sugar. That has been interesting.  I am slowly building up my dosage, but the first night I took it I wondered what the heck I was getting myself into, the stomach cramps were almost unbearable!  Beyond the GI side effects have been the crazy hot flashes, mood swings, fatigue, and headaches.  I know, when I put it like that you're all wondering how you can get your hands on this little bottle of gold!  I'm told almost all of these should lessen as my body gets used to the medicine.  I'm also hoping to drop some of the pounds that I gained very rapidly due to various other factors including medication and PCOS (this darn PCOS thing!).

Other than that, life is quiet.  Bruce is living up to his two year old status which includes tantrums when leaving the park and super cute games and phrases.  He is definitely a sponge...there is nothing to be said in front of him that you don't want repeated.  He definitely used "crap" in its correct context the other day.  While funny, it was also a little bit of a wake up that he will likely repeat other things!  In case you didn't already see on FB, below are a few pictures of Bruce's party.












1 comments:

Tara said...

Oh my! I love those fish glasses-too cute.