Thursday, April 22, 2010

April 22nd!

Its April 22nd...that means a number of things.  Its my parent's 32nd anniversary, its Earth Day, and its Bruce's 2nd birthday!  Can't believe he's two!  Karen (my sister) and I made some super cute cupcakes for him to take to school today, but of course I forgot to take any pictures!

Also, today I went to the dr again to get some test results and see what my course of action is.  To give you all a little history, I have been on Clomid for three months now and no pregnancy, but at least I was ovulating which is something I had not been doing before.  The Clomid was prescribed by my previous doctor who said he couldn't do anything for me after he tried some hormone treatments and told me I just had to go to the fertility clinic.  I had an appt set up at the fertility clinic, but when they called to confirm it they informed me that my insurance wouldn't cover anything, not even an initial consultation so that would be $350 out of pocket every time we visited.  That day I felt SO overwhelmed!  I called a few friends to calm me down and started trying to figure out what out what my course of action was. 

I called my regular OB/GYN back and asked if there was anything he could do so he prescribed 3 months of Clomid.  After month two I was getting very overwhelmed again because I didn't know what we were going to do if I didn't get pregnant in those three months.  I happened to talk to a friend at church who started going to an OB/GYN that attends our church as well.  I made an appt with her and LOVED her.  She said to try the Clomid one more month and then if I wasn't pregnant, come back in. Well I wasn't pregnant so that's why I went in this morning.  Wow, that was a lot of information and not even all of it, trust me I really did leave out some stuff! :-)

Well, today marks the first day I'm starting Metformin.  Metformin is typically medication prescribed for people with diabetes, but is also used to treat PCOS pretty effectively.  It has some unpleasant side effects, but so did Clomid so goes life.  It can take up to three months to truly start working so we'll just wait and see what happens!  That was probably way more information than any of you wanted, but I figured I'd go ahead and get all that out there!  Feel free to ask questions, I really don't mind answering!

2 comments:

Tara said...

Happy (belated) Birthday to Bruce! My sister took Clomid (10 years ago), and I know that is tough. Praying that the Metformin is the right solution, and so happy you found a great doctor to walk through this with you.

Me and My Boys said...

Oh Allison, I didn't know that y'all were having trouble getting pregnant again. I won't tell you that I know how you feel but please know that I will keep you in my prayers. Please keep let us know (if and when you can) how things are going. {Hugs}