Saturday, August 16, 2008

Five years down...

Today is Greg and my five year anniversary. It goes by quickly. Well most of the time it's gone by quickly! There have been times I have wondered what I got myself into. I'm not trying to be negative, just honest. My parents are awesome, my dad is undoubtedly forever dedicated to my mom and my mom fully trusts and relies on my dad as the head of their household. I grew up never seeing them fight at all. The first time Greg and I had a major blowout I honestly thought we would be getting a divorce.

I really didn't know you could have major fights and stay married. I called my mom and she said, "of course you can have major fights and stay married, look at Dad and I." To which I responded, "but you guys never fight." She told me that they do fight, they just make up too. The best thing my dad ever did for me was force me to stay married. Those first couple of years are really rough. Greg and I went through some stuff and I was ready to run back to San Antonio and kiss it all good bye. I called my parents and my dad got on the phone and told me unless I was in physical danger (which I by no means was) then I had to stay there and work through it. At the time I was really mad at my dad...how dare he think he knew. He reminded me that marriage isn't something you take likely and that I had made a commitment to Greg and to God.

I look back on that time with fondness of all things. I think about how faithful God is to us. To think, if Greg and I had called it quits we probably both would have just thought we were doing what was best. And now, five years later, I still love being married to Greg. We are still in love and now we have a beautiful son.

So here are my top five things I love about Greg:
1) He can make anyone feel at ease. He has a natural ability to be able to talk to anyone and everyone.
2) He is an AWESOME dad. His love for Bruce was apparent from the second he was born. He would go down and sit in the NICU and just stare at Bruce.
3) He cleans the kitchen! :-) Silly but true, I love that Greg is man enough to clean the kitchen!
4) He loves my family. My family is very important to me and he loves them. He loves my sisters as his sisters and he enjoys hanging out with my parents as friends and not just inlaws.
5) He loves God. Greg has the uncanny ability to appear as though he's asleep during church and then recite the entire sermon back to you. He has such a knowledge of the Bible that far surpasses what I know. His insight can be staggering and he interprets things in ways I've never heard. He's my iron constantly sharpening me.

Happy Anniversary Greg!

2 comments:

Tara said...

Happy Belated Anniversary!

-Tara
richfamilyblessings.blogspot.com

Heather said...

You and Greg are a great team, better together than apart. You're such an example to all of us, especially the way that you are honest about such struggles. I'm so glad you two didn't walk away from that. The best years are yet to come, I know it.

Love you so much.
Heather