Friday, June 13, 2008

Over-Advicer

Yes, I spelled that the way I planned...not a real word, but should be. I've begun to feel like an over-advicer. Someone who offers advice all the time. It's not that I'm such a great fountain of knowledge, it's just that I get so excited about the things and methods that have worked for us that I want to make sure everyone knows about them! I seem to remember being somewhat critical of such "over-advicers" in the past, but I now understand the want to help. That being said, I'm going to continue being an "advicer", but hopefully not an "over" one! Here are some of our favorite things around here. We would not have survived these past 7.5 weeks without them!

There are two things tied for first place that we can't live without: Kiddopotamus SwaddleMe Blankets and the Fisher Price Papasan Swing (AKA Miracle Swing!). We tried out various swaddle methods and blankets and with our super wiggle worm these were the best for keeping him in...plus they're a good price! See previous post for the miracle swing!

Other front runners would be the Playtex Drop Ins bottles. Can't beat not having to wash bottles all the time plus Bruce has done really well with those which says a lot considering we were told he can't have bottles because of his whole breathing thing... I'm also going to pass along some advice I got from a friend...don't get a lot of the 4 oz. bottles. They "outgrow" those FAST! Granted Bruce eats more than most, but he's already at 5 oz. bottles so we can't use those anymore.

The best diapers for us have been the Pampers Swaddlers...no leaks in those bad boys!

The best smelling baby lotion and wash is definitely the Johnson's Cucumber Melon.

The best crib thingee: Basically anything that plays music and lights up. This is the one we have: Rainforest Waterfall Peek-a-Boo Soother.

Finally, for breastfeeding moms these are two things another friend showed me: Gilligan & O'Malley Nursing Tanks and Breast pads that you freeze...Gerber Warm or Cool Relief Packs

Of course there are the standard must haves: Boppy or Breast Friend (I use both...not at the same time!), the stroller, and my glider.

And no, I don't get commission off any of these items, but I sure as heck should. If someone could work that out for me I'd appreciate it! :-)

One last tidbit while we're talking about advice. This is what a friend said to me and every new mom should take to heart. "You do what you have to in order to survive the moment." So for me when Bruce absolutely would NOT calm down during the days of BMS (Before Miracle Swing) I put him in his other swing plopped it in front of the TV and turned on Baby Einstein. Felt like a bad mom for a few minutes, but when the screaming stopped I quit beating myself up...

1 comments:

Tara said...

I'm so with you on the over-advicer thing....hoping I didn't over advice too much to you:-) Just hard not to share those things that have made your life easier, huh?