Monday, February 6, 2012

Exciting changes heading our way...

There are exciting changes heading our direction.  Don't really want them all on the internet quite yet, but I do hope that as things change around here that I will also be a little more motivated to keep my blog up to date! (and we are NOT pregnant...that seems to be where everyone's mind goes first!)

Other things going on in our lives: Bethany is turning ONE this month.  Crazy.  We've had some drama lately with her weight.  She was not gaining weight like she was supposed to.  I ended up deciding to wean her...that was a very difficult decision for me.  After having nursed Bruce for 18 months I was feeling a lot of guilt about weaning her, but in the end it was the right decision.  She just wasn't gaining weight.  She has been dropping percentiles and at her 9 month appointment she had dropped to the 5th percentile for weight (still in the 95th for length).  Our pediatrician was concerned so we started supplementing all her bottles, but she still nursed for most of her feedings.  When we went back for a check up at 10 months she had dropped to the 3rd percentile.  Red flags and alarms were going off.  I started crying that the drs office, asking if I had to stop nursing.  He said no, but that I had to record every ounce she ate so I'd need to pump exclusively.  Um, no.  So, we used up what was left in the freezer and supplemented with formula.  All of her bottles were double strength...

When we went back for her 11 month checkup she was up TWO WHOLE POUNDS!  Yay!  That shot her back up to around the 45th percentile.  The dr was thrilled and I was so relieved!  That being said, we're still watching her calorie intake very closely, but are hopeful that she'll maintain this weight gain.

Other news, Bruce is growing like a weed and seriously funny.  He says so many silly things and likes to talk about his brother "Rica".  Not sure about that, but supposedly imaginary friends are good things.  He loves preschool and comes home every day telling me that he had fun!

'Til next time...hopefully not 6 months from now...but I make no promises!

1 comments:

Tara said...

So glad to see you blogging again! Glad to hear Bethany is gaining..and that Bruce loves preschool.