Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Beth's Birth

I actually get to write an UN-eventful birth story!  Bethany arrived March 23, 2011 at 14:14 weighing in at 9 lbs 6 oz and measuring 21 inches at 38 weeks.  I got to the hospital Wednesday at 11:00 having not eaten anything since midnight and waited and waited...they were behind.  I finally got prepped for surgery and headed in.  Right before they were getting me ready, I totally freaked out.  I was getting super scared for the spinal and having a mini panic attack.  I told Greg we were done having kids...and then I actually had the surgery...

Yeah, it's not that bad.  The spinal is seriously not that bad...the actual pain is about 5 seconds.  And they give you all these warnings about pressure and such, but again, not that bad.  Recovery, not so great, but manageable.  For any future c-sectioners, here are my tips:

1) Seriously, it's not that bad.
2) Make sure they do the catheter after the spinal.
3) Ask for a binder (or bring your own) and wear it as soon as you can.  Seriously, makes a WORLD of difference.
4) Ask your nurses to write on your board the next time you can take your pain meds.  They won't come and tell you it's time, it's up to you to ask and stay on top of it.
5) Take all pain meds offered and take them at the right times, don't wait until you're in pain....that's with one caveat, I will NEVER take morphine again.  I itched and itched for 2 days after that stuff, NOT fun.
6) Seriously, it's not that bad.

Having Bethany in my room was incredible.  I had no idea it was supposed to be that way.  It was so fun having her there!  Getting to feed her soon after birth, getting to hold her all day, letting guests get to see her, all the stuff I didn't get to do with Bruce.  By the time Saturday came around, I was ready to get home and see my family.

Bruce is adjusting well.  He LOVES Bethany, but is definitely acting out.  He's not really had specific jealousy issues, but he has started referring to me as "my mommy" and he is having way more fits then he used to.  He's getting better though...

And as for me, I'm recovering.  Still in some pain, but getting markedly better every day.  I've completely weaned off all narcotic medication and now just take mega Ibuprofen.  Also, I am officially below my pre-pregnancy weight.  Yay!  Nursing is going well, Bethany sleeps a lot so she has to be woken up to eat, but otherwise, life at home is going well.  I will enjoy my 10 weeks off from work!

Here are a few pictures:
Before:

 First picture:
 Bruce is a big brother!
 Arriving home to our sweet sign!
 Bruce getting to hold her:

4 comments:

Erin Ferrera said...

Congratulations!!!

Tara said...

So excited to see pictures! She is precious. Congrats!

Me and My Boys said...

Yay!! I'm so glad this was an "uneventful" birth! Hope y'all are all recovering well!

Anonymous said...

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm sweet little p---y