Friday, May 22, 2009

Homemade Lara Bars...

I found this recipe on Oh She Glows. I've been trying to find a way to make a nutritious bar because we eat Kashi bars like they're going out of style and they get really expensive after a while. Well I tried these out and they turned out really great!

They kind of look like bars of, well, something else...but they taste good!

I edited the recipe a bit to stretch it and to make them lower in WW points so here's my recipe:

1/4 cup dates
1/4 cup bananas
1/4 almonds
1/2 cup Quaker multi-grain cereal (could just use oatmeal too)

- Slice up a banana and put it on a greased cookie sheet and bake for about 2-3 hours on 175 (or until the edges are crispy). You could also use a food dehydrator if you have one.

- Put the cereal into a dish and bake for the last 30 min to an hour that the bananas are baking.

- Coarsely chop the dates and add those and the bananas to a food processor or blender and chop for about a minute.

- Take the mix out of the food processor.

- Put the almonds and cereal in the food processor with about 2 tbs of water and blend for about a minute.

- Now put both mixtures together in the processor and mix together.

- Divide into four sections, put one "blob" on a piece of Saran-wrap and shape into a bar.

- Store in the fridge.

I promise it's a lot easier than these directions sound...

1 comments:

Me and My Boys said...

He's stable. They have started weaning him off the heart/lung machine and so far so good (I think). We will see my aunt and uncle on Sat for the wedding (which is so hard because you want to be happy about the wedding but everyone is so somber and worried about Luke) and hopefully we'll get more news. and of course if Rachael sends out anything I will post it. Thanks for asking!