Friday, January 18, 2008

Sex ed video! Get your attention? :-)

First things first...my friend got some results back and is having to go back for more tests next week. Keep her in your prayers still please! Also, Greg had his first week of school. So far so good. He likes it and is feeling pretty good about things so far! WOO HOO!!

So, I had a doctor's appointment last Friday. Nothing too eventful. Everything's pretty normal...said for the second month in a row I'm measuring a week ahead. Wouldn't surprise me seeing as I wasn't 100% sure on all the dates and such. Speaking of which...I figured I'd actually explain why I tell everyone we were really surprised when we got pregnant.

I say that and most people look at me and I know what they're thinking, "what, you don't know how it happens??" Yes, I do know how it happens...even though I did miss the sex ed video. Funny story about that...I'll tell it later. :-) So anyway, my doctor in Abilene had mentioned stuff about PCOS (poly cystic ovarian syndrome) which I never took very seriously mostly because I didn't want to do the tons of blood work that finding out involved. Well my doctor in San Antonio told me that I had to have it done because I wasn't sure if I was ovulating (apparently if you do, it's something you can tell...). Well, got it all done, and as far as they could tell I have PCOS. There's no one test that they can perform that gives that nice little plus sign. It's a range of symptoms and they check for multiple different things. Well, then came testing for ovulation every day over a period of three months. Still nothing so they determined that when I wanted to get pregnant hormone therapy/fertility drugs would be the way to go. At the time we had no plans on getting pregnant right away and I definitely didn't want to do the whole medicine route right away. So, all that said, we didn't think it would really happen. I haven't been on birth control for 3 years mostly cause I didn't think it would happen! Soooooo, now when I say that we were surprised I don't want to see that look of pity from all you who are wondering how I've been married for 4.5 years and never learned the birds and the bees!

So, funny story about the sex ed video. So remember in 5th grade when you have to watch that video? Yeah, I don't. I missed it because I was sick. My mom was so freaked out about having to tell me about sex she asked if I wanted to go to school just to watch the video and come back home. Uh, right, I totally want to be the kid that just shows up to school to watch a video about sex. Somehow I'm not thinking the nice kids in my 5th class would have let that go...that being said, I missed out on what I can only guess was a rite of passage in life!

One last thing...everyone should go see Juno! It was awesome!

0 comments: